The following part describes the simplest experiment with a pendulum that can be held not only in a specially designed physical laboratory but even in an ordinary lecture hall. Do not be misled by the simplicity of the operation – this elementary experiment will be undoubtedly useful for students because it is very demonstrative concerning basic physical principles. A pendulum lab report format postulates that students have to move accurately from simple experiments with an ordinary ticker to complicated experiments with spring pendulums and torsion pendulums without undue haste. This experiment will be convenient on the early stages of study in order to present the simplest and the most usable variants of tickers that pupils may be already familiar with from their daily practice.
Determination of the gravitational acceleration, using the mathematical pendulum:
- - formulate and write a hypothesis about the principles of a future experiment. Use methods of writing obtained during a case study research in order to eschew logical gaps in your further work.
- - prepare the protocol of the physical experiment. Double-check all key-points to gain confidence that all phases of operation are clear and understandable.
- - organize your working place. Check all the materials that will be necessary during the experiment. Do not forget your laboratory protocol and writing utensils. An experiment that was not scrupulously documented definitely loses all scientific value.
- - assemble the pendulum, which can be regarded as approximate mathematical.
- - deflect the pendulum from the equilibrium position at an angle of no more than 15°. You will observe free oscillations of the ticker.
- -use the stopwatch to fix the time in which the pendulum makes, for example, 10 oscillations. Repeat this phase of experiment several times, for example, 8-10 times. Write the obtained results in your laboratory journal. You have to be very carefully during this operation. Composing a laboratory protocol requires the same responsibility as writing a persuasive essay.
- - calculate the acceleration of gravity for each experiment separately. Then calculate the average result for the whole experiment.
After the practical part of this assignment it will be quite useful to write a thematic essay about the accomplished work. This will help consolidate obtained knowledge about the primary features of pendulums and nuances of work with scientific instruments. Do not neglect this piece of work. Remember, that the received knowledge about classical mechanics is indispensable for the future education in specialized physical schools or even in common daily practice. After all, no one can consider oneself as a versatile educated person without deep understanding of fundamental physical principles. The modern educational program allows you to get this knowledge with all possible promotion, so do not lose your chance to get into contemporary circles of the well-educated elite.