One of the persuasive papers that you may face during your studies is smoking should be banned in public places essay. If you really think this way and you are sure that smoking is something that should not be allowed in public places, it won't be very difficult to cope with this kind of writing assignment. But if you haven't formed your opinion in regard to this problem yet or you don't think that smoking should be banned, being convincing will be a bit tough for you. In any case, all persuasive papers, regardless of the topic, are usually written in accordance with common techniques. You will find them below in this article, so be careful when reading and try to follow the guidelines that we provided.
A persuasive essay is a kind of writing assignment that provides a description of a certain perspective and gives relevant evidences and examples in order to support it. While a persuasive paper has much in common with an argumentative one, it can be based on emotions and appeal to the reader's feelings rather than logical facts, which is not appropriate to do when writing an argumentative essay. However, for making your paper as effective as possible you need to provide strong and solid arguments supported by evidences anyway, while also using techniques of emotional influence.
Even though you already have a particular topic to enlighten in your paper, banning smoking in public places essay may be dedicated to a wide range of aspects concerning this issue. Therefore, you need to narrow your topic and choose one or a couple of specific aspects to discuss. For example, you may argue that smoking in public places is harmful to children who are not protected from the cigarette smoke. On the other hand, you may appeal to the morality and prove that people who smoke give an inappropriate example to others and it leads to increase of the number of smokers. At the end of the day, you may discuss the problems that are caused by cigarette smoking and that banning of smoking in public places will decrease the number of smokers and thus, the average state of health in the country will become better. These are only some of possible ideas to enlighten in ban smoking in public places essay. You can take them into consideration, but you are also welcome to come up with your own subtopic.
Whatever particular issue you decide to discuss in your paper, we recommend you reading the following guidelines and apply them to writing your persuasive paper.
- Identify the angle of your paper at first. Now that your topic is narrow enough and you have chosen a particular issue to discuss, you need to take a clear and hardened position in regard to it. So, what exactly your attitude to smoking in public places is?
- Brainstorm your ideas. As long as you are dealing with a persuasive paper, it is acceptable to appeal to the feelings of your potential reader. You may provide some statistical data showing how many people suffer because of diseases caused by cigarette smoking and how dreadful this tendency is to the future generations.
- Look for good relevant evidences. Whatever ideas you came up with, you always have to support them with evidences and examples. Tell about a particular situation from real life that has to do with tragic event caused by cigarette smoking.
- Use additional and secondary sources. It is always helpful to read works of other authors, especially if they are experts in this area. Consider using interviews of scientists or doctors who argue that smoking is very harmful and express their positive attitude to banning smoking in public places.
- Every time you use additional sources, remember taking notes. This is important if you don't want to miss any interesting idea coming to your mind. Even if you are far away from your working place and you are not writing your paper at this moment, you can still find lots of ideas to include into your paper everywhere. Besides, you may come up with a good idea when being at a public place and observing people smoking there.
- Create an effective thesis statement. This is the part of your paper, where you need to announce your position in regard to the discussed issue and write it down in a very clear and understandable manner. Your thesis statement will let the reader see the general pattern of your essay and the key points provided in it.
- Think of a very strong opening sentence. You need to make your reader curious from the very beginning. Consider using a hook, figurative language or a provoking statement. Also, you may use a rhetorical question arising the major issue covered in your essay.
- Be confident in every word. You reader will believe you only if you demonstrate your confidence based on deep research, strong arguments and supporting evidences. Your statements have to demonstrate your awareness of the problem. Therefore, avoid using such phrases as «I don't know for sure» and so on. Accept the fact that while you are writing this paper, you are an expert.
- Develop your arguments and make links between them. There has to be a logical connection between the paragraphs of your paper leading to an obvious conclusion.
- When your paper is finished, spend some more time for proofreading and editing it. Make sure there are no grammar or other mistakes, etc.