Table Of Contents:
- What Sections Covers Coursework Biology
- What Does It Mean Biology Major?
- Requirements For Degree In Biology
- How to Choose a Topic By Biology Coursework?
- Is It Possible To Build Biology Careers?
Biology is a complex science that studies all organisms on our planet. This subject is also closely related to other disciplines, so to write a term paper in biology, you need to have a tremendous amount of knowledge.
Coursework in biology poses two main tasks for students: to learn how to work with thematic literature (find, analyze, systematize the necessary information) and use the knowledge gained in practice. For this, such basic natural science methods are used as:
- observation (to describe biological phenomena);
- comparison (to identify patterns);
- experiment (to reveal hidden properties and new characteristics of biological objects);
- historical method (to reveal the laws of nature);
- specific methods for studying their subjects (for example, the method of microscopy in cytology, etc.).
You will think that you cannot avoid doing this hard work since everyone wants to get high marks, but there is still a way out. StudyBay offers a coursework writing service. The best writers on the site, according to your topic, will develop an entirely new original coursework that will interest not only you but also your teacher. As a result, you will have a chance to defend your work with dignity and get an excellent mark.
What Sections Covers Coursework Biology
The system of biological sciences is quite complex and varied. Yet all this unites into one science - the science of Biology. This science is divided into the following parts:
- Genetics is the science of the laws of heredity and variability;
- Breeding is the science of creating new and improving existing varieties of plants, as well as breeds of animals, microorganisms;
- Evolution is the science of the natural process of development of living nature, which is accompanied by a change in the genetic composition of the population;
- Cytology is the science of studying living cells, their structure and function;
- Ecology is the science of studying the organization and functioning of communities, populations;
- Botany is the science of plants;
- Zoology is the science of animals;
- Mycology is the science of mushrooms;
- Anatomy is the science of the external and internal structure of a person;
- Physiology is the science of the essence of living things;
- Microbiology is the science of studying single-celled microorganisms;
- Systematics is the science of classifying living organisms;
- Histology is the science of plant tissues, animals of other organisms;
- Entomology is the science of insects;
- Ichthyology is the science of fish;
- Virology is the science of viruses.
As you can see, there are a lot of biology sections. This means that when writing a term paper, you can choose the one that interests you the most. It is unnecessary to conduct research on general biology tasks, touch upon those questions to which the answers are not yet clearly formulated, and your course can be a real discovery.
What Does It Mean Biology Major?
Biological science contains a lot of factual information about the world around us and about ourselves. The study of this subject is associated with the consistent acquisition of knowledge and their further application. This is facilitated by a set of biological methods aimed at finding facts and developing theories. A learning process student needs to learn about already proven theories and learn how to obtain new data in the laboratory and practical work, experiments. The table shows types of educational activities (and their purposes) that a major biology student is engaged in:
During such a lesson, the teacher demonstrates the experiment, and the student observes the biological process, forms research skills.
Putting theoretical skills into practice. Carrying out the simplest experiments. Forming the skills of observing static and dynamic objects, description, instrumental methods.
Research work of students in the classroom. Formation of observation skills, experience, description, implementation of schematic drawings, diagrams, tables, and students' analytical activities. Writing a lab report.
The main goal is to show the connection between theoretical material and real processes occurring in wildlife. Formation of the student's ecological and research activities, observation skills, descriptions, execution of schematic drawings, diagrams, tables, application of work methods.
How to Know If This Major Is the Right Fit For You
To enter the Faculty of Biology, you need to know the school course in chemistry and biology very well. But the most interesting lies ahead: physiology, molecular and organic chemistry, genetics, microbiology, etc.
Choosing a future profession, you need to weigh everything sensibly. You must make sure that you are ready to devote your life to the chosen specialty. As a rule, it is worth relying on a predisposition to the study of specific school subjects. If biology is your thing, then go for biological science. Biology is directly related to chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecology, and includes many disciplines that belong to different professions.
For a person of this profession, it is essential to have a good memory and think analytically. A responsible attitude to work is also of great importance. It is crucial to have good hearing, sight, smell, and this is especially important for working in the field. A biologist must be responsible, hardworking. There should also be the ability to make quick decisions. Good physical fitness and the absence of allergic reactions will not be superfluous.
If you like wildlife, do not waste time, get an education according to your profile, and do what you love throughout your life. But if you are interested only in a large salary, then this specialization will most likely not suit you, since the profession requires a lot of effort.
What Can I Do With a Biology Major?
The place of work depends on the chosen specialization. A person can work in a research institute, a zoo, a nature reserve, an environmental enterprise, a pharmaceutical company, a biotechnological and genetic engineering laboratory, an agricultural complex, a laboratory assistant in the market, a veterinary clinic.
This profession does not belong to several medical jobs; however, a biologist works in medical institutions. The full name of the specialty is clinical laboratory diagnostics. It includes studying organic and inorganic chemicals and biochemical processes in the human body to diagnose and monitor diseases.
Unlike a general practitioner, a biologist works exclusively in laboratories and is engaged in making diagnoses and choosing adequate treatment and preventive measures. Having chosen the given direction, a person can become a geneticist - this is a scientist studying the laws of variability and heredity. The scope of his activities is similar to that of a microbiologist. The range of jobs is broad; it all depends on the person; if he wants to work in his specialty, he will not be left without work.
What Classes Are In a Biology Major?
The classes are considered a necessary part of the learning process. The choice of classes depends on the type of program you need, on an academic degree, on the faculties. It is also worth noting that some programs take longer to study science. We provide you with a list of courses you need to take to become a biologist:
- Introductory courses. In this program, you can learn the structure and function of cells. Also, this course will study molecular biology, ecology, chemistry, physics, genetics. This course is intended for students who have just entered biology's specialty and get acquainted with aspects of the profession.
- Scientific courses. This program is aimed at an in-depth study of the physics and structure of the Earth. The course also helps to gain knowledge in higher mathematics, computer science, and computer programming. Upon completing the course, the student needs to do a research project on a specialty topic. The study takes place in the last year, and all the expenses are borne by the teacher or provide the necessary material from his savings.
- Arts in biology courses. This program is needed for senior students to write term papers in the humanities, social, historical, and art sciences. The course is essential for students who decide to become teachers in biology. The course instructor provides students with coursework examples and teaches how to format, structure a document to defend a scientific degree in biology successfully.
What Math Is Required For a Biology Major?
A biologist can gather information about how plants grow. At first, it has a high rate and gradually slows down. But how exactly does this happen? What is the rate at the beginning, and at what percentage does it decrease? Why are these rates precisely like this? The methods used by biology do not make it possible to answer all these questions and cannot predict the future, taking into account changing conditions.
Accordingly, biology cannot do without mathematics. In this profession, a scientist will need knowledge of such sections of mathematics:
- elementary algebra;
- elementary geometry;
- theory of elementary functions and elements of analysis;
- theory of probability;
- mathematical statistics.
Mathematicians describe what will happen in a given case without considering specific objects. Their predictions are universal. That is why mathematical calculations have a place in the field of biology, and its knowledge is indispensable.
Requirements For Degree In Biology
The scientific degrees of Doctor and Candidate of Science are awarded based on the results of public defense of dissertations, term papers. Therefore, writing such works is a necessary component to get a scientific degree.
A term paper or dissertation for a scientific degree is a qualifying scientific work performed personally by the applicant in a specially prepared manuscript or a published monograph. A dissertation or term paper prepared for defense must contain scientifically grounded theoretical or experimental results, scientific provisions put forward by the applicant, and be characterized by the unity of content and testify to the applicant's contribution to science.
If text borrowings are revealed, ideas, scientific results, and materials of other authors are identified without reference to the source, the work is removed from consideration, regardless of the stage of passage, without the right to re-protect it. Therefore, you are very careful when writing a document because the requirements for obtaining a scientific degree are very high.
You have no chance of making a mistake; you get it right. During your studies, go to all courses, lectures, programs; this will help you. But if there are difficulties, every student can get help on biology online by contacting our experts. Only the best writers work for us, have already defended their scientific degree, and know how to make your document successful.
University Requirements For Degree In Biology
When studying at a university with a specialization in biology, there will be extensive requirements for you. Let's consider them in more detail:
- without fail, you need to attend courses where they teach to think critically and how to behave correctly in society;
- you take exams every semester in writing, by word of mouth, using a computer to take tests;
- a course called advanced communication is given by the student to choose from, or the university itself puts it in the program;
- you need to attend the information literacy course to know how to write down the initial data correctly, fill out documents, etc.
- one general course has the name international perspective, but it is divided into programs; the student needs to choose the one that he considers more suitable for the profession or specialization;
- the last required U.S. course diversity also has a variety of programs, so the choice is yours.
There are additional English courses, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, when studying at the university. We have named only a part of the mandatory ones; all the details must be found directly at the educational institution.
College Requirements For Degree In Biology
To get an education in biology, one can study at a college.
Each of them has its requirements that the student must fulfill.Let's see the basic requirements for a college student:
- a compulsory course is the study of a foreign language, the knowledge gained at the school is beneficial for you because the program differs only slightly;
- a course called advanced communication gives the student a choice: either to study written rule or speech rules;
- a course with an inclination to mathematics, in which you will study statistics, functions, graphics;
- a course with additional subjects, it can be physics, natural sciences, chemistry;
- a course called arts and humanities gives the student the right to choose the desired program;
- the social sciences course is considered compulsory;
- the last required course is ethics.
Basic Requirements For Biology Major
In the specialty of biology, a lot of requirements have been put forward. In training, you need to have good grades, keep up with academic workloads, and do written work. Below are the basic requirements that you should be aware of before choosing a given specialty.
Basic Requirements Biology Core
The student must compulsorily perform written work in all sections of biology. When doing this, keep in mind that you must have a GPA of at least 2.0. Basic courses to study:
- an introduction to biology course is aimed at those students who have just entered an educational institution;
- the following programs are aimed at investigating the basic principles of working with experiments; students are prepared for laboratory work;
- the program is aimed at the science of ecology, during which the student will perform laboratory work in nature;
- it is also necessary to consider the course of the field of study of genetics, in which the student needs to do practical work using a microscope;
- a program with a focus on molecular biology;
- the last course related to evolution.
Additional Requirements For A Student In Biology
The Biology specialty allows the student to study more than 200 science-related courses. Thus, students can choose those interesting programs for them, with which he wants to build his career. In addition to the fact that the student will know everything about biology, he will have the opportunity to participate in various excursions, internships, research experiences. But colleges, universities may put forward additional requirements:
- the student must necessarily study the basics of biology, sections, theoretical programs aimed at studying the laws, as well as developing writing skills;
- one more requirement - the student must devote half of his studies to laboratory and practical work, during which they will conduct lessons in nature, in large laboratories.
As for the average score, it must be at least 2.0, even higher in some cases.
How to Choose a Topic By Biology Coursework?
The very first step towards writing a biology coursework is choosing a topic. It is essential because it will determine the direction of the student's further research, perhaps even up to his thesis. And the more interesting the topic, the more comfortable and joyful it will be to work on it, the more successful the research results will be.
One of the main requirements for coursework is that the topic being developed must necessarily be relevant and meet the current level of development of science. This correspondence is determined by the tasks aimed at improving the practical activity in the studied area.
When choosing a term paper topic, the student-researcher needs to consult with the teacher to determine the degree of urgency of the problem in the studied area. It will then be essential to get advice from leading scientists to clarify the little-studied issues over the past few years. Also, the study of analytical reviews of scientific achievements, where the unsolved problems of a particular industry and the reasons for their occurrence are often mentioned. Now let's take a look at a list of exciting biology topics.
Animal Biology Topics
- Animals are a whole organism.
- The main differences between animals and plants and fungi. Particularities of animal nutrition.
- Organs and systems of animal organs.
- Classification of animals.
- The nervous system and it's meaning in various animals. The musculoskeletal system of animals.
- Body covers of animals.
- The sense organs of animals.
- Forms of animal reproduction.
- Animal behavior in nature.
- Nature reserves of the USA.
- Human influence on the life of animals.
- The mental activity of animals.
- Respiration and gas exchange in animals.
- Animal orientation methods.
- Experiments on animals.
Human Biology Topics
- The human body is a biological system.
- The variety of cells and tissues in the human body.
- Metabolism and energy circulation in the human body.
- The value of food products in human life.
- The structure and function of the human digestive system.
- Digestion process in the stomach.
- The importance of breathing for the existence of the organism.
- Respiratory system, its structure, and functions.
- Human blood groups.
- Heart, its structure, and functions.
- Human urinary system.
- The structure of the human skin and its functions.
- The musculoskeletal system in the human body.
- Types of bones of the human skeleton and peculiarities of their combination.
- The structure and function of skeletal muscles.
Computational Biology Topics
- Life activity from the standpoint of biophysics.
- Bioinformatic approaches to the treatment of various diseases.
- Acoustic radiation and their role in bioinformation processes.
- Ionic heredity in inanimate objects.
- The commonality of the natural foundations of bioinformation processes in objects of animate and inanimate nature.
- The role of water in the processes of human life.
- The mechanism of cellular renewal in biological tissues.
- Genetic effects of biological objects.
- Regulation of vital processes by electromagnetic signaling.
- Bioinformatic principles for assessing the state of the environment. Fundamentals of Electromagnetic Dosimetry.
- The relationship between the state of the biosphere and information processes.
- The relationship of information interaction in the universe.
- The role of longitudinal electromagnetic waves in the transmission of information signals.
- Human information field.
- The origin and evolution of life on Earth.
Is It Possible To Build Biology Careers?
Earning an advanced degree in Biology gives you access to several job opportunities. Therefore, as a student who loves science and is interested in studying living things, this top professional career in biology is for you.
Biology is the main subject of careers in the science and health sectors. However, there are many other career paths that you can choose from with this degree. Degrees in biology focus on natural science, the study of medicine and health care professions, and even educational niches. A biology degree can lead to careers in science, pharmaceuticals, laboratory research, or zoology, and more.
To pursue a career in biology, you need to earn a degree in biology. However, for the sake of clarity, below are some steps you can follow:
- Start in high school.
- Sign up for the desired program.
- Look to the future.
- Fulfill professional requirements.
- Continuing education.
Good Opportunity To Build Biology Research Careers
A research biologist needs in-depth knowledge of systematizing research on general properties and patterns of living organisms' development, in all the main sections of biology, related sciences - mathematics, physics, chemistry, and the basics of the functioning and life of living things and plants.
The researcher must possess the skills to conduct laboratory research with a predetermined purpose, research, and observation methods, analyze research results, prepare scientific reports with specific practical recommendations for improving conditions in a particular industry, etc. He needs working with living organisms, observing the basics of safety during research and observation, and acting in emergencies.
If you study a career, you can be a research biologist, a junior researcher, a senior researcher, a leading researcher, head of a scientific laboratory, and director of a laboratory. There are a lot of prospects, and there is something to strive for.
Science Communication Careers Perspective
Representatives of the profession of biology teachers are in high demand on the labor market. Even though universities graduate many experts in this area, many companies and many enterprises require qualified biology teachers, journalists, and writers.
A lot of the work of a teacher, journalist, writer is self-education. A good specialist in this field needs to replenish his knowledge. He must keep abreast of the latest developments in the world of medicine, genetics, botany, and ecology.
Most respondents believe that the profession in scientific communications in biology cannot be rare; it is widespread in our country. For several years now, there has been a demand for representatives of the labor market's biology profession.
The vast majority of the biology profession believe they have ample opportunity to advance their careers. If an ordinary specialist has such a goal, he can take a leading position in this area.
Biologist And Medical Careers
One of the acute problems of the laboratory service's modern staffing is the lack of biologists in the clinical diagnostic laboratory. Biologists in medicine study the structure, distribution, interaction, and biological functions of chemicals and macromolecules that make up living organisms. They study the chemical processes taking place in living organisms and ensuring their vital activity.
Medical biologists are indispensable in biotechnology and genetics research, studying organisms' reactions to various drugs and allergens. A medical biologist is engaged in physical and chemical testing of indicators of the body's different functions and systems as criteria for assessing the environment's quality.
The biologist also develops medical and environmental standards, conducts medical and ecological expertise and quality control activities, and ensures the national economy's environmental safety. The medical biologist's tasks also include the social and psychological rehabilitation of the population affected by human-made disasters. These experts have a future, and career prospects are very high.
Legal Career Opportunity
The biologist in the field of law:
- controls the use of natural resources;
- together with representatives of law enforcement agencies, takes measures to prevent and suppress illegal hunting, fishing, and deforestation;
- plans and conducts environmental protection measures;
- ensures the rational use and restoration of natural resources.
An environmental inspector can be likened to the environmental police - he deals with protecting them through ecological oversight. He instructs on the implementation of environmental requirements. He monitors their implementation to prevent damage to the environment and, thereby, threaten people's life, health, or property.
Environmental supervision includes verifying compliance with the requirements for protecting and exploiting the environment, misdemeanor proceedings, administrative proceedings, and initial procedural actions in criminal cases. As well as the calculation and collection of fines for environmental damage and pollution charges. The demand for such specialists is growing every day because, in the modern world, you need to take care of nature, and the staff is increasing at the expense of biologists.