What does a good quality synthesis essay should include?
- Accuracy. Accurate information from different sources with your ideas. You shouldn’t use original text in your essay, use your own phrases and sentences.
- Structure. You should show the connection between different information.
- Interpretation. Help the readers to understand your topic well.
There are a few types of synthesis essay:
- Argument synthesis. There is a strong thesis in this type. It tells the audience the writer’s main idea. It presents the information from the research in a logical way according to the thesis.
- Explanatory/background synthesis. This type helps readers to classify facts and information and helps to understand the topic. There is no definite position and its thesis is weak. This type is for describing a subject. The goal of this type of essay is not to dispute your opinion but to show the facts objectively.
So lets try to understand what kind of topic do you need. Your topic should be broad enough to mix information from a few sources but don’t take to broad topic too.
Select your sources carefully. You should choose three or four sources for your assignment. It’s important not only to find useful sources but connect them to one another. Choose the most significant facts, which will be useful for writing a synthesis essay.
Develop your thesis. When you are writing a synthesis essay, try to make a strong and interesting thesis, which is based on your research. Re-read the information and try to find facts, quotes, and ideas to support the thesis and take them down.