For some of you it might be a surprising fact that there is a whole list of what to include and exclude to your personal statement. The admissions committee usually strict about the information provided by applicant and can refuse you only because of that. Before going into details, we need to identify the goals of both sides. The main goal for an applicant is to receive an acceptance letter from his graduate school. The main goal for the school is to select the best candidates based on their applications. To reach those goals, both sides use own techniques and methods, which will be discussed here further.
- First thing to know about your statement is the reason of writing. You need to persuade the admissions committee that you are the person that should be chosen. Think about what possible criteria they can use for assessing your statement and making a final choice. Since those people are professionals and you are only a student yet, you need to be enough official. Critical thinking is your advantage in here, however, do not use statements like «You should choose me because…» – no one likes when you tell them what to do. The better approach is «I am a presentable/suitable candidate because…» – a small detail can change their decision. It is all about being official and clear in your thoughts. After you have finished your statement, try to place yourself in the role of committee and analyze your letter before submission.
- Field of interest. Carefully read the instructions for the essay and determine its content. Some schools provide a list of certain questions, some do not, therefore, you need to keep in mind what are must to say sentences. We will list of what is advised to mention in your personal statement. First of all, you should clearly see your purpose of studying in a graduate school. Think about it before you have started to write. Whether you aim to analyze environmental science papers or become an exemplary professional in writing a literary analysis essay, you should mention that. To explain your thought in an effective way, you can study the terms of your desired field in graduate school. That will give you an advantage and proof to committee that your interest is not faked.
- Correlation of your personal and academic goal. You can share your future plans and some ideas that you find valuable. For instance, your work was chosen as best biology lab report example, which proves your skills in biology and pushes you further for studying it. Concentrate on your uniqueness and support it with examples – brief but meaningful examples. If you have bad results due to some reasons, explain it in a positive way – you were working on more important project and gathered a valuable experience, for example. Do not forget to mention your strengths, supported by real experience: you can cope with stress and work hard on different tasks at the same time.
- Make them feel unique. Explain: why do you want to study at this exact place. Study the school and prove it with suitable information. You need to draw a parallel line between your personal and academic qualities and school’s policy. Remember to mention your personal views, but be as plain and clear as possible.
- Re-read your personal statement for graduate school to get the point of conclusion. Your statement should leave a positive and lively feeling after reading, so, take into account the structure of your sentences. The ending sentence should not leave the reader in the middle of the description. It is advised to limit your letter by two pages. It can be longer or shorter, but think: who will read two pages of application if there are hundreds of them?
Listed above is just a brief guideline on how to succeed in writing personal statement. It is not as easy as it looks from the beginning and the result of it depends on how many factors have you considered before, during and after writing your letter. Think about getting help in your study issues. We provide a wide range of writing services. Our team is aware about professors’ requirements and follow the most efficient ways. We are ready to edit your business work with accounting paper template standards, and also, provide you with programming assignment help.