Let's chuck some light upon what Communication is focused on: According to Allen, - "Communication is the sum of all things, one individual will when he needs to build understanding in your brain of others. It is the bridge of meaning. It includes a organized and continuous process of telling, listening and understanding. "
Importance of Effective Communication
Effective communication is important because one must share his ideas evidently and must be grasped very clearly while communicating. The recipient should comprehend the meaning in the same perception as designed by the sender of the subject matter. This is exactly what we call an effective communication. Oddly enough though, there are other facets to effective communication as it pertains to written communication, popularly known as 'Seven C's of Effective Communication'.
The Importance of Written Communication Within an Organisation
Communication is the key to motivation, it helps in informing and illuminating the employees about the task to be carried out, the manner they should be performing their task, and how to boost their performance if it's not up to the mark.
An Effective Communication is the better way to obtain information to the associates of group for decision-making process as it helps identifying and assess alternative course of actions.
Communication also plays a simple role in modifying an individual's attitude, i. e. , a up to date individual will have better frame of mind than a less-informed individual. Organizational magazines, journals, meetings and various other varieties of oral and written communication assist in moulding employee's attitudes.
Communication also helps in socializing. In today's life the sole presence of another specific fosters communication. Individual is a social animal and success without communication is neither possible nor fruitful.
Communication also facilitates in controlling process in a large way. It can help handling organizational member's habit in a variety of ways. It is the art to getting work done. There are various degrees of hierarchy, certain guidelines and recommendations that employees are required to follow in an corporation. They must adhere to organizational plans, perform their functions efficiently and talk any work problem and grievance with their superiors. Thus, communication assists with handling function of management.
Types of Written Communication
- Instruction cards
In Order to perfect the art work of written communication, we have a helping side known as the 'Seven C's Of Communication' - The key points advocated by Francis J. Bergin. These ideas provide guidelines for selection of content, design of display, how much is too much etc. Let's take head to of the same.
The Eight C's of Effective Communicaton
For transmitting effective communication written or dental messages, certain key points must be used. These rules advocated by Francis J. Bergin. Bergin provides rules for selection of content and style of presentation designed to the reason the device of the subject matter. Also, they are called as "Seven Cs" of communication. They are simply:
Every communication must be complete and good. Incomplete messages keep the device guessing, creates misunderstanding and delay activities. Every person should, therefore, discover all the mandatory facts and characters. For example, when the stock supervisor instructs employees to create, he must designate the exact size, condition, quality and cost of the product. Any assumptions behind the subject matter also needs to be clarified. While responding to a letter, the questions increased in the notice must be replied.
A complete concept offers the following benefits:
- Complete messages are more likely to bring the required results without the expense of additional information.
- They can do a much better job of creating goodwill. Messages which contain information the recipient needs show concern for others.
- Complete emails can help advert costly lawsuit which may result if information is lacking.
- Communication that seems inconsequential can be surprisingly important if the information they contain is complete and effective.
It is advised that while responding to a letter one should ensure that all the questions are responded to.
The message is not complete, if it does not answer questions like :
- What is the conference about?
- When is it? and Where?
In business communication, you ought to be brief and able to say whatever you have to state in fewest possible words without restricting the other C qualities. A concise concept is complete without being wordy. Conciseness is desired as a result of following benefits:
- A concise subject matter saves time and price for both sender and receiver.
- Conciseness contributes to emphasis; through the elimination of pointless words, you let important ideas stick out.
- When coupled with a "YOU-VIEW", concise subject matter are inherently more interesting to recipients as they avoid pointless information.
There is no hard and fast rule for the distance of a letter. A two web page letter seems brief, while a ten lines letter may seem to be all too much time depending upon the function and situation.
The meaning should be placed in simple conditions to ensure quality. Words must indicate a similar thing to receiver as they do the sender. Organic issues must be compressed in to themes, slogans or stereotypes which may have simplicity and clearness. In order to ensure quality in oral communications, you should use correct and familiar words with proper intonation, stresses and pauses. Thoughts should be clear and well organized.
The important considerations in attaining clarity are as follows:
- Choose exact, concrete and familiar simple words.
- Construct effective sentences and paragraphs.
- In brief, simple and short words are more effective than pompous and heady words.
- Using the 'K-I-S-S' Method - Keep It Short and Simple!
- If the meaning does not help recognizes who actually the person is?
- It may be possible to own many people with same name in an company.
- What great work he/she has done? When?
- And what he/she is likely to do now?
It Is Not Really a Clear Message
The term correctness, as applied to business information means right degree of language and correctness of facts, numbers and words. If the information is not effectively conveyed, the sender will lose credibility. Transmission of wrong information to superior will vitiate decision making process. Transmission of incorrect announcements, grammatical errors also needs to be avoided. All of the messages must be sent and taken care of immediately at most appropriate time. Outdated information is unproductive. Since communication is an expensive process, transmitting obsolete information requires wastage of energy, money and human resources. The rule of appropriate timing also stipulates that you communicate your message at a time when it is likely to prove most reliable.
Concreteness of announcements can be an essential dependence on effective communication. It means being specific, definite, and vivid alternatively than vague and basic. In oral communication, we can not draw tables, diagrams, or graphs to make our assertion vibrant, but we can precise words to mention the correct text messages and support it by relevant facts and information. If the meaning is specific, there would be increased possibility that the
message is interpreted by the recipient as intended by sender. For sending concrete messages, the following suggestions should be followed:
- Use concrete expressions.
- Use specific facts and characters.
- Put action in your verbs.
- Choose vivid, image-building words.
Facts lend credibility to your communication since it isn't possible to refute them. Cement expressions create visible images that are easy to join up. So instead of vague, generalized assertions, distinct facts should get.
The statements without passion, no vivid detail, having nothing that creates sentiment and nothing that says people in the audience why they must care can not work well.
Consideration means planning the note with the recipient in mind. To be able to talk effectively, the sender should think and look from the receiver's perspective. He should adopt a humane procedure and understand the thoughts and sentiments of the receiver. The socio-psychological backdrop of the receiver must be realized. The golden guideline "First understand than be grasped" should be used. It ought to be noted that awareness underlies the other 6 Cs of the communication. Four special ways to indicate considerations are the following:
- Focus on "You" rather than "I" and "We".
- Show audience advantage or affinity for the receiver.
- Emphasis positive, enjoyable facts.
- Show empathy. Ask how you would feel if you were to receive this note.
Consideration also requires emphasizing positive and pleasant facts. To state "no", "sorry", "regret", "disagree" should not be used in direct and straight forward manner.
Courtesy is due to a honest you-attitude. It is not basically politeness with mechanical insertions of "please" and "thank you", although applying socially accepted manners is a kind of courtesy. Rather it is politeness that increases out of esteem and concern for others.
In business conversations, you should say things with force and assertiveness without having to be rude. The following guidelines should be viewed to ensure courtesy:
- Thank generously for a favour. When someone does indeed a favour to us, acknowledge it quickly and thank the individual.
- Apologize for an omission. If you had committed a blunder, express regret quickly and sincerely.
- Avoid irritating expressions. Words and expressions having negative connotation shouldn't be found in the note.
- Use of non-discriminatory expressions that mirror equal treatment of men and women regardless of gender, race, ethics, source and physical features.
Below Mentioned Are Some Useful Guidelines to Advice Workers in the Business About How to Best Communicate Effectively
- Take sufficient period to effectively converse.
- Care. Figure out how to be empathic.
- Be genuine and honest.
- One of the cruelest things one can do to another person is never to acknowledge see your face.
- Develop a feeling of owed when interacting with others. Be welcoming and inclusive.
- Regularly, in your lifestyle, interact with folks whose culture, race, ethnicity and other identifiers and important characteristics are different than your own.
- Welcome individuals with disabilities. Person with a disability is the most well-liked manner of speech, versus disabled person. Place the individual before the disability.
- Spend quality time with people whose backgrounds are different than yours.
- Set an example when you are welcoming and inclusive to everyone.
- Learn to pronounce labels properly. Make a concerted work to do so and to keep in mind names.