To help you do better on assignments, we wrote a short essay about the National Service Training Program. In this article, we will discuss it, point out its weaknesses, and provide you with guidelines on how to write a good essay about NSTP in the Philippines.
Sample Essay: What Is the National Service Training Program (NSTP)?
What follows is an example of an essay written by a Filipino high school student, John:
The civic education and defense preparedness program, NSTP, was instituted by virtue of Republic Act 9163 back in 2001. Tertiary level students in the Philippines should take the National Service Training Program. It's applicable for both males and females.
College students must undergo one of three programs that are included in NSTP. One of them is ROTC or Reserve Officers' Training Corps. It focuses on military training and education. Students who choose ROTC can be mobilized for national defense preparedness. Many decide to take the course to learn more about the armed forces in the Philippines.
Another NSTP program is the CWTS or Civic Welfare Training Service. In terms of this civil service course, students study general welfare-related matters and focus on the betterment of life in the community. According to statistics, this is the most popular component.
Finally, the LTS or Literacy Training Service is the program that aims to promote peer-to-peer learning by encouraging students to teach others literacy and numeracy.
The chosen component determines not only the specialty but also post-graduation life. For example, students who undergo the ROTC program will make up the Citizen Armed Force. All the others, however, are to become a part of the National Service Reserve Corps or NSRC.
Normally, any National Service Training Program includes six units that are divided into two semesters. That's why students take two courses: NSTP 1 and NSTP 2. However, some universities may introduce a single course that combines both.
If you are a student who takes a baccalaureate degree course or a technical vocational course, regardless of your gender, you will compulsorily study components of the NSTP. However, there are exceptions for foreign students or those who have already completed the program before.
Essay Review: What to Improve
At first sight, the essay may seem well-written. It describes what the National Service Training Program and its components are, the academic period, and who is subject to take the program. It is very informative and provides a lot of value to the reader. You can even rely on this information in your own essay! However, there are some things about this written work that should be improved or even avoided.
The introduction of John's essay could have been smoother. Apart from moving directly to the point, the NSTP abbreviation wasn't clarified when the term first appeared. It may confuse the reader and decrease readability.
Besides, the essay has a wrong ending. Normally, the last part of an essay should sum up all the mentioned above: it's either a brief review or a conclusion. In the case of John's essay, however, it introduces new information that should be included in the main body.
Tips on Writing an Essay on NSTP
When writing an introductory essay on the NSTP, you should always remember that:
- You are unfolding the topic for a reader. Therefore, don't be shy to explain even basic things.
- Cover all the aspects of a program, from eligibility and duration to the program components. Also, don't forget to describe NSTP's role in the government's nation-building strategy. Think civic consciousness, activities contributory to the country's well-being, enhancement of a variety of skills.
- Describe each component in detail so that a reader thoroughly understands what he/she is going to study and gain in the end.
- Don't focus on the history of the NSTP. While this may be relevant to the topic, it isn't very useful for a reader. Instead, cover the ethics of service, some fun facts, add brief statistics.
- Explain the importance of the program for students to be motivated to take one or another course as members of the community. Show the end value and appeal to motivational triggers. But don't overdo with the sales style.
- Write in an informative style. Avoid using a too friendly tone of voice.
The essay "What is the NSTP?" aims to inform a reader about a training program. That's why it must cover all the major details to help students make a prudent choice of a program component. Besides, you need to avoid being too friendly and adhere to an informative and official writing style.
Check out our other web pages for more essay help and essay editing. Alternatively, you may wish to use our proofreading services for polishing and perfecting your essay to give you that extra grade boost!