On Studybay you can order your academic assignment from one of our 45000 professional writers. Hire your writer directly, without overpaying for agencies and affiliates!
Check price for your assignment
The lottery Assignment
1. Pretend that you are a defense attorney in a criminal case involving the family of Tessie and the community. Using “evidence” from the story and your own reasonable speculation through your understanding and research of the story, prepare a formal statement (in essay form) explaining why the town is justifiable in their practice of the lottery. You must focus on the reasons that this tradition is continued, the benefits of the lottery, and the justification of Tessie as the “chosen.”
2. Take a recurring symbol or image in the story and explain how it demonstrates the story’s theme. You may examine more than one symbol or image. It is easiest to work with multiple symbols, if they all support one theme. In order to write on this prompt, a specific theme must be chosen.
3. How responsible is Tessie for the actions of the community? What about her actions, choices, and statements foreshadow the outcome? What does the choice of Tessie say about the values of the community?
• The essay must contain an introductory paragraph, a conclusion paragraph, and at least three body paragraphs, at least five paragraphs total.
• The introductory paragraph must mention the full title of the short story, the author’s full name, and a brief synopsis of the story. A full plot summary should be avoided.
• The last sentence of the introductory paragraph must be the thesis statement, i.e. the one sentence answer to the prompt selected.
• The body paragraphs contain supporting points, which are, in turn, supported by details and examples. Make sure you make direct reference to the story in each of the body paragraphs.
• Literary terminology should be used as needed.
• References, examples, and discussion of the story will be used in multiple places throughout the essay, but it is also important that you use direct quotes from the story. Work in at least two short quotes and limit the direct quotes to no more than four.
• The essay will need to include a works cited page with all sources utilized in the essay.
• There will need to be at least two supplementary sources used. These need to be academically appropriate and correlated to the prompt chosen.
• An appropriate mix of quotes, paraphrases, and summaries should appear in the essay.
• There will need to be in-text citations for each of the sources used in the text of the essay.
• The essay should be a minimum of 750 words.
• The essay should be in MLA format. Please see the example document in Syllabus and Resources for a review if needed.
Make sure that your essay has the following:
1. An Introduction
2. A Thesis with a specific topic and comment that clearly states exactly what the point of the essay is.
3. Body paragraphs
4. A Conclusion
5. Double spacing
6. Multiple in-text citations for any information which came from sources
7. A works cited page with entries for all sources used in the text of the essay
8. At least the minimum number of sources required (entries on the works cited page and in-text citations for each)
The lottery Assignment
1. Pretend that you are a defense attorney in a criminal case involving the family of Tessie and the community.