On Studybay you can order your academic assignment from one of our 45000 professional writers. Hire your writer directly, without overpaying for agencies and affiliates!
Check price for your assignment
This course focuses on the politial ecology of health and disease, that is we are concerned with the interrelationship of environment, economics, politics and society. We will be discussing at length the geographic processes of investigating and understanding disease epidemiology, and your job for the course project will be to explore, examine and investigate specific health issues within this context.
The approach that Ali (2004) (SEE PDF ATTACHED) develops in his examination of the causes and consequences of this important health issue will be the model you will use to develop your own research project. Your own topics can be as far ranging as you like, such as:
- the incidence and prevalence of infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS or Malaria in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- food safety in North America;
- aboriginal health in South America or northern Canada;
- environmental health issues such as air pollution in a large city;
- sanitation and water issues especially in poorer regions of the world;
- the risks and ethics of exploiting such natural resources as asbestos and uranium;
- the many consequences associated with our post-modern urban lifestyles such increased rates of diabetes, heart disease and cancers;
- climate change and health issues anywhere in the world in urban or rural, poor, emerging or wealthy economies;
- disaster health management (some recent examples include managing the SARS and Ebola epidemics; impacts on health from flooding and earthquakes, etc.).
30% for the report will be based on how well you have applied Ali's (2004) model to your health topic; the sourcing of all of your information to a bibliography; your overall research effort; your use of geography of health terminology and concepts; your inclusion of maps to enhance your descriptions and analysis; your use of other visuals to illustrate your points; and the overall effort evident in your finished project (presentation, grammar and the depth and complexity of your examination).
10% of the report will be based on your final conclusions and recommendations, relevant to both your analysis of the health issue and the utility of Ali's soicio-ecological model.
- DO NOT USE THE 'NOTES' SECTION FOR ANYTHING!
- use in text referencing (Chicago, MLA, APA) or footnoting for referencing your secondary information to a properly formatted bibliography that is listed in alphabetical order.
This course focuses on the politial ecology of health and disease, that is we are concerned with the interrelationship of environment, economics, politics and society.