There are quite many requirements for how to write a lab report. At first, an author has to choose the right lab report format for his paper. The most popular option is a CSE style paper. In a laboratory report, one has to use a great number of quotes, to prove the principal statements and to provide examples for the insufficiently explored details. This citation system allows you to accommodate your quotes in the correct positions and in strict accordance with your thesis. The CSE offers three types of documentation, so you can select the most suitable system for every sample. In a long line of answers, the CSE style is the first right answer to the question: how to make a lab report?
How to write a lab report: The main sections of a standard report:
- the title should contain only the most necessary information. It should be laconic and pronouncedly significant. Also, the title provides only the needful information for the audience, so its size must not exceed 10-15 words.
- The brief description (the abstract) describes the purpose of the study, the data and the main conclusions. Stick to the selected topic and avoid extra details. Describing the aviation papers topics, one has to summarize the principles related only to the selected topic, not the general statements about the aviation. The wordiness is a grave sin in the academic circles.
- Materials and methods. This chapter includes a list of the materials and methods used in the experiments. Describe every experiment separately from the others, to avoid any specific overlaps. Explain why you chose a specific method for every single problem. You have to concentrate on the specific methods, not on the general commonly used methodology. The audience will be interested in the description of the original research, not in the description of banal methods. For example: in a physics lab report format an author has to characterize particularly physical research techniques, not some trivial details of daily routine work.
- The results should summarize the consequences of your study without a discussion of any kind. This chapter should contain only objective and impersonal information. Organize your data using tables, graphs, charts, etc. Focus on the type of the presentation that would help you to systemize results lucidly. In geology papers the most suitable type of the presentation is the graphs, in the medical papers – graphs or the diagram. Try to eschew the duplication of the data. Check the previous paragraphs to gain confidence that you are not replicating your work.
- The discussion section. This section contains the interpretation and explanation of the previously received data. Try to adhere to objectivity and to avoid all the subjective statements. If your results match the existing theory, focus your attention on the explanation of the data according to the original hypothesis. If your results contradict the primary hypothesis, then show the audience the whole way of thinking.
References and literature cited. This chapter lists all the articles cited in your report. Include only those sources to which you have referred in the laboratory report, not the whole bibliography on this topic. For example: the chapter of the report titled «how to make a lab report» must include the references to the previous works about the same problem, like «how to write a lab report», but not the whole list of works about the reports. Always stick to the usual lab report format for citations, like the CSE.
How to write a lab report: conclusions and derivatives.
The key-point in how to make a lab report is to demonstrate your capacity of the independent research and your ability to master the conventional techniques of writing and systemizing the received results. Using the aforecited recommendations, you wouldn't need to as how to make a lab report anymore because you can easily compose yours. Do not limit your imagination with confines and boundaries, but adhere to clear rules in your research. That is a direct path, which will lead you straightforward to a perfect report.