Get help with any kind of project - from a high school essay to a PhD dissertation

Walker Percy's The Moviegoer Essay

Project id 1001797
Subject area Other
Document type Essay
Words 1841
looking for essay samples online?
OR
The essay did not fit your needs?
You can order an essay on any topic
Submit a new project

Walker Percy's The Moviegoer Walker Percy is the writer of The Moviegoer, which can be composed about a young man called John Binkerson Bolling otherwise called Binx. He is the most important character who grows up in New Orleans. He's a moviegoer who's on a hunt but the object of his search isn't obvious. The people he experiences help him along the way, especially his stepbrother Lonnie and an African American man. The Moviegoer takes place during Mardi Gras when Binx finds that something more is needed in his lifetime. The story begins with Binx getting a letter in his Aunt Emily stating that they need to have a talk. This talk is about his cousin Kate who Aunt Emily is concerned about. She's been "moping around the home" ever since her fiancé's departure and Aunt Emily wants Binx to cheer up her (28). She wants him to treat Kate as he did before and joke with her to make her laugh and grin. She has been staying inside and hasn't interacted with individuals in a while. On Binx's way to his aunt's home, "the notion of a research happens to" him (13). "The search is what anyone would undertake if he weren't sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To become conscious of the possibility of the research is to be on something" (13). But just what can be Binx onto? Binx doesn't know and does not reveal the goal of his hunt because he fears "exposing (his) own ignorance" (14). Can this search about God? Binx "hesitates to answer, because all other Americans have settled the matter for themselves and to provide such a response would amount to putting himself a target which everybody else has reached -- and consequently raising a question where nobody has the smallest interest. For, as everybody knows, the surveys report that 98 percent of Americans believe in God and also the remaining 2% are atheists and agnostics -- which leaves not just one percentage point to get a priest" (13, 14). Binx's hunt continues through his attraction to the movies that "are onto the hunt, but throw him farther from the truth. The research always ends in grief" (13). The films are a way to allow him to fill the emptiness in his life. They give him hardwired into other people lives and to his life. "Before I see a movie it's necessary for me to learn about some thing about the theatre or the people who run it, to get in touch before moving indoors" (74). This helps him learn more about how others live and lear...

More than 7,000 students prefer us to work on their projects
90% of customers trust us with more than 5 assignments
Special price $5 /page
SUBMIT A PROJECT
Document type
Check the price for your project
FREE