First recorded in 1885–90; yard1 + -man (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Yardman
- a sailor assigned to the yards of a vessel.
- a person who works in a railroad yard, boatyard, lumberyard, or the like.
- a person employed to care for the yard of a house, public building, etc., as by mowing the lawn and trimming shrubbery.
- A person working in a railway or timber yard.
- A person who does various outdoor jobs.
- : a person employed to do outdoor work (such as mowing lawns)
- : a person who works in the yard of a commercial establishment
- : a railroad hand employed in yard service
Example sentences for Yardman
- Another young fellow brought out a typewriting machine; he is now yardman at a Suva hotel.
- Did the yardman tell you where he thought the noise came from?
- "The town's been full of 'em since noon yesterday," said a yardman to Ben, in answer to his question.
- The remark had come from the yardman, not Mr. Carmichael himself, who had appeared too stunned to think of anything but his son.
- I asked a yardman if he had seen or heard anything during the passing of the President.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project