1940–45, Americanism; yard2 + bird, by analogy with jailbird (Source: dictionary.com)
1940s perhaps suggested by jailbird. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Yardbird
- a convict or prisoner.
- an army recruit.
- a soldier confined to camp and assigned to cleaning the grounds or other menial tasks as punishment for violation of the rules.
- US military an inexperienced, untrained, or clumsy soldier, esp one employed on menial duties
- A new military recruit, especially one assigned to menial tasks.
- A convict.
- : a soldier assigned to a menial task or restricted to a limited area as a disciplinary measure
- : an untrained or inept enlisted man
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project