First recorded in 1895–1900; after the 2nd Earl of Yarborough (died 1897), said to have bet 1000 to 1 against its occurrence (Source: dictionary.com)
Early 20th century said to be named after an Earl of Yarborough, who bet 1000 to 1 against the occurrence of such a hand. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Yarborough
- a hand in which no card is higher than a nine.
- bridge whist a hand of 13 cards in which no card is higher than nine
- (in bridge or whist) a hand with no card above a nine.
- : a hand in bridge or whist containing no ace and no card higher than a nine
Example sentences for Yarborough
- I ascertained that Mrs. Johnson and Senator Yarborough were all right.
- One of the pleasant old buildings is the Yarborough Hotel, at which my companion and I stayed.
- Behind the figure of St. Luke in the Yarborough picture is a second pillar.
- And Senator Yarborough also moved forward, and possibly he moved over a little to the right.
- "Especially the mask," returned Sylvia, under her breath, and laid on the table the last card of a Yarborough.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project