An Americanism dating back to 1785–95; Yankee + -ism (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Yankeeism
- Yankee character or characteristics.
- a Yankee peculiarity, as of speech.
- Yankee character, behaviour, or attitudes
- a typical Yankee word, expression, or trait
- : a native or inhabitant of New England
- : a native or inhabitant of the northern U.S.
- : a native or inhabitant of the U.S.
communications code word
- —used as a code word for the letter y
Example sentences for Yankeeism
- This spirit of 'Yankeeism' is the prevailing spirit of colonies.
- In fact he was extremely lean—tall as a may-pole, and slender enough to crawl through a greased fleute,—to use a yankeeism.
- I know you will say, therein lies the cause of my sudden conversion to Yankeeism.
- There goes another Yankeeism, just because it puts the thing better than any words in our own language.
- They used to be rare, (to use a Yankeeism omitted by Bartlett,) but nowadays they are overdone.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project