An Americanism dating back to 1835–45; Yankee + -dom (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Yankeedom
- the region inhabited by Yankees.
- Yankees collectively.
- : a native or inhabitant of New England
- : a native or inhabitant of the northern U.S.
- : a native or inhabitant of the U.S.
communications code word
- —used as a code word for the letter y
Example sentences for Yankeedom
- Great rejoicing was had in Yankeedom, when it was known that the Alabama had been beaten.
- This same John Titcomb, my very good friend, is a character peculiar to Yankeedom.
- The fall of 1861 Mr. Hale broke up school and left for Yankeedom to join the blue coats.
- Occasionally, however, the biter has been most horridly bitten, by some honest son from yankeedom.
- That fall, about October, mother married a man by the name of Carrier, who hailed from Yankeedom.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project