First recorded in 1820–30; Wahhab(i) + -ism (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Wahhabism
- the group of doctrines or practices of the Wahhabis.
- : a member of a puritanical Muslim sect founded in Arabia in the 18th century by Muhammad ibn-Abdul Wahhab and revived by ibn-Saud in the 20th century
Example sentences for Wahhabism
- Saudi society and government are intricately intertwined with a puritanical flavor of Islam, Wahhabism.
- Osama bin Laden was steeped in Wahhabism, as are many Sunni Jidahists in Iraq and Syria today, such as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Wahhabism is on the decline, but not yet extinct at Haïl; and the Wahhabis would of course have been our enemies.
- And Wahhabism is a direct telegraph wire between mortal man and his God.
- Wahhabism, as a political regeneration of the world, has failed, but the spirit of reform has remained.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project