1350–1400; < Latin vacātiōn- (stem of vacātiō freedom from something; see vacate, -ion); replacing Middle English vacacioun < Anglo-French (Source: dictionary.com)
Late Middle English from Old French, or from Latin vacatio(n-), from vacare ‘be unoccupied’ (see vacate). (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Vacationing
- a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday:
- a part of the year, regularly set aside, when normal activities of law courts, legislatures, etc., are suspended.
- freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.
- an act or instance of vacating.
- mainly British a period of the year when the law courts or universities are closed
- mainly US and Canadian a period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel, or recreationAlso called (in Britain and certain other countries) holiday
- the act of departing from or abandoning property, etc
verb (used without object)
- to take or have a vacation:
- (intr) US and Canadian to take a vacation; holiday
- A fixed holiday period between terms in universities and law courts.
- The action of leaving something one previously occupied.
- Take a holiday.
- : a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation had a restful vacation at the beach
- : a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended
- : a period of exemption from work granted to an employee
- : a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission
- : an act or an instance of vacating
- : to take or spend a vacation vacationed at the shore
Example sentences for Vacationing
- The announcement will add to rising alarm about the safety of Westerners working and vacationing in Egypt.
- I suspect very few—unless you were vacationing in Hawaii or returning home to Searchlight, Nevada.
- He was arrested not long afterwards for drunk driving while vacationing in Florida.
- Luckily for us, so far the bond market seems to be vacationing there as well.
- The Labor Department figures are a gift for the vacationing Romney, who wants to talk about one issue and one issue only.
- Harrison was vacationing and he viewed the emergency contact from Intersolar Spaceport with annoyance.
- Amy said that Jessie kept them so hard at work that it did not seem at all as though they were vacationing.
- And their homes were admirably located for vacationing, too.
- While my pals were vacationing I was ranching, and ranching under Old Nick is no vacation.
- That they had come to her meetings in large numbers while vacationing in Saratoga Springs, this was important.
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project