1635–45; < Latin vacātus past participle of vacāre to be empty; see -ate1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Mid 17th century (as a legal term, also in the sense ‘make ineffective’): from Latin vacat- ‘left empty’, from the verb vacare. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Vacating
verb (used with object)
- to give up possession or occupancy of:
- to give up or relinquish (an office, position, etc.):
- to render inoperative; deprive of validity; void; annul:
- to cause to be empty or unoccupied; make
verb (used without object)
- to withdraw from occupancy; surrender possession:
- to give up or leave a position, office, etc.
- to leave; go away.
- to cause (something) to be empty, esp by departing from or abandoning itto vacate a room
- (also intr) to give up the tenure, possession, or occupancy of (a place, post, etc); leave or quit
- law to cancel or rescind to make void or of no effect; annul
- Leave (a place that one previously occupied)
- Cancel or annul (a judgement, contract, or charge)
- : to deprive of an incumbent or occupant
- : to give up the incumbency or occupancy of
- : to make legally void : annul
- : to vacate an office, post, or tenancy
Example sentences for Vacating
- Letterman is vacating the show “sometime next year,” ending a spectacular and hilarious 30-year run in late-night television.
- Vacating the earlier convictions and sentences seems nothing more than the parties' desire to get the deal done.
- It will readily be conceded, that the vacating of the former office is the condition of the acceptance of the latter.
- Vacating this post in the year following, he remained without employ up to the year 1821.
- Peters was also there, packing up the personal effects of the dead man preparatory to vacating the apartment.
- In vacating the hut, the last occupants had left some of the furnishings behind them.
- He walked to the bench which the players were vacating, Clint following, and seated himself.
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project