1890–95; <Afrikaans <obsolete Dutch, equivalent to uitout + landland + -er-er1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Afrikaans, from Dutch uit ‘out’ + land ‘land’. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Uitlander
- a foreigner, especially a British settler in the Boer republics prior to the formation of the Union of South Africa.
- (sometimes capital) Southern African a foreigner; alien
- A foreigner or outsider.
- : foreigner
Example sentences for Uitlander
- Viewed from this standpoint the Uitlander grievances were an inexhaustibly rich and payable mine.
- Had it remained so, it is safe to say that there would never have been either an Uitlander question or a great Boer war.
- The education of Uitlander children is made subject to impossible conditions.
- He was surrounded, beaten, and captured with all his followers, whereupon the "Uitlander" malcontents also laid down their arms.
- As gunpowder answers to the spark so the indignation of the Uitlander community broke out.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project