1200–50; Middle English ugly, uglike<Old Norse uggligr fearful, dreadful, equivalent to ugg(r) fear + -ligr-ly (Source: dictionary.com)
Middle English from Old Norse uggligr ‘to be dreaded’, from ugga ‘to dread’. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Ugliest
- very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance.
- disagreeable; unpleasant; objectionable:
- morally revolting:
- threatening trouble or danger:
- mean; hostile; quarrelsome:
- (especially of natural phenomena) unpleasant or dangerous:
- of unpleasant or unsightly appearance
- repulsive, objectionable, or displeasing in any waywar is ugly
- ominous or menacingan ugly situation
- bad-tempered, angry, or sullenan ugly mood
- Unpleasant or repulsive, especially in appearance.
- Involving or likely to involve violence or other unpleasantness.
- : offensive to the sight : hideous
- : offensive or unpleasant to any sense
- : morally offensive or objectionable corruption—the ugliest stain of all
- : likely to cause inconvenience or discomfort the ugly truth
- : surly, quarrelsome an ugly disposition
- : frightful, dire
- : in an ugly manner was acting ugly
Example sentences for Ugliest
- Even Godzilla, the ugliest star attraction of them all, is bigger than ever, both at the box office and in sheer monstrous height.
- I have seen the ugliest thoughts expressed, sometimes in verse, while using public restrooms.
- It would be a storybook ending to one of the ugliest chapters in history of American sports ownership.
- You know how you just act the ugliest with the people you love the most?
- She conveys the ugliest things with matter-of-factness, helping to demystify death.
- I stooped down rather unwillingly, and began patting the ugliest head I ever saw in my life.
- The ugliest of all the work is the cutting of the slots in which the springs are put.
- Your town down there is one of the ugliest and dirtiest in the kingdom: it might be the fairest.'
- Heaven is very opulent; has alchemy to change the ugliest substances into beautifulest.
- I always did say you had the sweetest eyes in the world—and the ugliest hats!
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project