tab-uh-nid, tuh-bey-nid, -ban-id
1890–95; < New Latin Tabanidae name of the family, equivalent to Taban(us) a genus (Latin tabānus gadfly) + -idae -id2 (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Tabanid
- any of numerous bloodsucking flies of the family Tabanidae, comprising the deer flies and horse flies.
- any stout-bodied fly of the dipterous family Tabanidae, the females of which have mouthparts specialized for sucking blood: includes the horseflies
- belonging or pertaining to the family Tabanidae.
- Any of various bloodsucking dipterous flies of the family Tabanidae, including the horseflies, that are involved in the transmission of several blood-borne parasites.
- : horsefly
Example sentences for Tabanid
- Many other species of Tabanid, popularly called "Breeze Flies," are plentiful in this country.
- As examples of the so-called free parasitism, the autumnal flies (Tabanid) and Stomoxys may be cited.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project