First recorded in 1620–30; sun + fish (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Sunfish
- the ocean sunfish, Mola mola.
- any of various other fishes of the family Molidae.
- any of several small, brightly colored, spiny-rayed freshwater fishes of the genus Lepomis, of North America, having a deep, compressed body.
- any large plectognath fish of the family Molidae, of temperate and tropical seas, esp Mola mola, which has a large rounded compressed body, long pointed dorsal and anal fins, and a fringelike tail fin
- any of various small predatory North American freshwater percoid fishes of the family Centrarchidae, typically having a compressed brightly coloured body
- A large deep-bodied marine fish of warm seas, with tall dorsal and anal fins near the rear of the body and a very short tail.
- A nest-building freshwater fish that is native to North America and popular in aquaria, e.g. the pumpkinseed.
- : ocean sunfish
- : any of numerous North American freshwater bony fishes (family Centrarchidae, especially genus Lepomis) usually with a deep compressed body and metallic luster
- —used for a small light sailboat that has one sail
Example sentences for Sunfish
- Sunfish scrambled with his feet for secure footing, found it and waded up to the front door.
- Beside the signature was the familiar Sunfish which is Sahwah's symbol.
- Sunfish had carried him safely out of the stampede and he had no fear of him now.
- Thurston kept close behind, mindful of Park's command to give Sunfish his head.
- Ten minutes passed, but, save for the inquiring nibble of a sunfish or similar small fry, he found no encouragement.
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project