1605–15; < Greek sabbatikós (sábbat(on) Sabbath + -ikos -ic) + -al1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Late 16th century via late Latin from Greek sabbatikos ‘of the sabbath’ + -al. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Sabbatical
- of or pertaining or appropriate to the Sabbath.
- (lowercase) of or relating to a sabbatical year.
- (lowercase) bringing a period of rest.
- denoting a period of leave granted to university staff, teachers, etc, esp approximately every seventh yeara sabbatical year; sabbatical leave
- denoting a post that renders the holder eligible for such leave
- of, relating to, or appropriate to the Sabbath as a day of rest and religious observance
- (lowercase) sabbatical year.
- (lowercase) any extended period of leave from one's customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc.
- any sabbatical period
- short for sabbatical year
- A period of paid leave granted to a university teacher or other worker for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked.
- Relating to a sabbatical.
- Of or appropriate to the sabbath.
- : of or relating to a sabbatical year
- : of or relating to the sabbath sabbatical laws
- : sabbatical year sense 2
- : leave sense 1b
- : a break or change from a normal routine (as of employment)
Example sentences for Sabbatical
- I was also teaching my courses at UC-Berkeley much of that time, though I had time off in the summers and through a sabbatical.
- After a four-year sabbatical, today LeBron James decided to go back home.
- Her recent medical episode underscores her need for a sabbatical.
- A sabbatical calm results from the contemplation of his labours.
- To these ends it is not enough that each one should determine for himself the portion and proportion of his own Sabbatical times.
- And yet, to the eye of science, there would be no more disorder here than in the Sabbatical peace of a summer sea.
- At sixty she had given up work, entering upon, she said, the Sabbatical period of her life.
- Has this principle any reference to the sabbatical ordinance?
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project