First recorded in 1690–1700; pepper + -y1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Peppery
- full of or tasting like pepper; hot; pungent.
- of, relating to, or resembling pepper.
- sharp or stinging:
- easily angered; bad-tempered; irritable; irascible:
- flavoured with or tasting of pepper
- quick-tempered; irritable
- full of bite and sharpnessa peppery speech
- Strongly flavoured with pepper or other hot spices.
- (of a person) irritable and sharp-tongued.
- : of, relating to, or having the qualities of pepper : hot, pungent a peppery taste
- : having a hot temper : touchy a peppery boss
- : fiery, stinging a peppery satire
Example sentences for Peppery
- Besides a trove of data showing that the rich really are getting much richer, the book is full of peppery Gallic asides.
- He ignored, too, his chairman of the Federal Reserve, Marriner Eccles, a small, peppery Mormon banker from Utah.
- Belgian ale like Chimay is rich with fruity and peppery notes and sometimes has a bitter aftertaste.
- My old godfather, who had come to see me off, was the funniest of all—a peppery Indian edition.
- The peppery Secretary of State grew more and more intolerant of Gerry.
- Dignified silence, however, was the last thing to be expected from the peppery gentleman from Mississippi.
- Neale jumped and floundered for five minutes, then the peppery scrub quarter consigned him profanely to the side-lines.
- It was invisible, but Fitz flushed and felt, after his fashion, peppery.
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project