Definitions of Kostroma
- a city in the W Russian Federation in Europe, NE of Moscow, on the Volga.
- a city in W central Russia, on the River Volga: fought over bitterly by Novgorod, Tver, and Moscow, until annexed by Moscow in 1329; textile centre. Pop: 280 000 (2005 est)
- An industrial city in European Russia, situated on the River Volga to the north-west of Nizhni Novgorod; population 271,700 (est. 2008).
- city of central Russia in Europe on the Volga River population 269,000
Example sentences for Kostroma
- Similar unification is nearly finished at Tula and at Kostroma.
- Thereupon the inhabitants of Moscow deserted the town and took up residence with their prince in Kostroma.
- Volkov was born at Kostroma, in 1729, the son of a merchant.
- He had heard that the Rostovs were at Kostroma but the thought of Natasha seldom occurred to him.
- All the nobility, for fifty versts around, including Prince Paul and the chief families of Kostroma, were invited.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project