1575–85; iron + works (in the sense “manufacturing establishment”) (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Ironworks
- an establishment where iron is smelted or where it is cast or wrought.
- work in iron.
- objects or parts of objects made of
- (sometimes functioning as singular) a building in which iron is smelted, cast, or wrought
- work done in iron, esp decorative work
- the craft or practice of working in iron
- A place where iron is smelted or iron goods are made.
- : work in iron
- : a mill or building where iron or steel is smelted or heavy iron or steel products are made
Example sentences for Ironworks
- After a decade-long pause, he served time again in 2001 for stealing $32,000 of equipment from an ironworks company.
- The Company expected the sawmill to provide the planks and suggested a place near the sawmill and ironworks for the shipyard.
- The chief employment is the cotton manufacture, but there are also collieries and ironworks, which employ a great many persons.
- The Indians swept down on the ironworks community and left twenty-seven dead as well as considerable destruction to the works.
- In 1775 he bought a pumping steam engine from Boulton and Watt's company for his ironworks.
- Ironworks were established in the neighborhood of the mines and supplied many of the local needs.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project