First recorded in 1650–60; iron + wood1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Ironwood
- any of various trees yielding a hard, heavy wood, as the American hornbeam, Carpinus caroliniana, or Lyonothamnus floribundus, found on the islands off the coast of S California.
- the wood of any of these trees.
- any of various betulaceous trees, such as hornbeam, that have very hard wood
- a Californian rosaceous tree, Lyonothamnus floribundus, with very hard wood
- any of various other trees with hard wood, such as the mopani
- the wood of any of these trees
- Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber.
- : any of numerous trees and shrubs (such as a hornbeam or hop hornbeam) with exceptionally tough or hard wood
- : the wood of an ironwood
Example sentences for Ironwood
- Other names for the tree are algaroba, honey locust, honey pod, and ironwood.
- Well, it was a very good place, for no one would ever dream that jewels were hidden up there in the ironwood.
- For its choice it has the pick of American timber, the ironwood of our national forests of humanity.
- Some women were pounding paddy (a preparation of rice) for the evening meal in mortars of ironwood.
- They went down the road to a mossy place where the ironwood trees leaned out over a stream.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project