First recorded in 1515–25; iron + stone (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Ironstone
- any iron-bearing mineral or rock with siliceous impurities.
- Also called ironstone china. a hard white stoneware.
- any rock consisting mainly of an iron-bearing ore
- Also called: ironstone china a tough durable earthenware
- Sedimentary rock containing a substantial proportion of iron compounds.
- A kind of dense, opaque stoneware.
- : a hard sedimentary rock rich in iron
- : ironstone china
Example sentences for Ironstone
- The upper rock-beds, especially the bed of ironstone on the top, is generally remarkably rich in fossils.
- She knew, too, that all her fascinations recoiled harmlessly from that rugged block of ironstone.
- Behind him was a great cut-faced rock of ironstone that certainly looked auriferous.
- The magnet, for in Kent they call the ironstone mine, quasi mineral.
- The whole park has a sombre appearance, owing to the dark soil and ironstone freely sprinkling it.
irons in the fire, too many
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project