1545–55; < Greek diametrik(ós) (diámetr(os) diameter + -ikos -ic) + -al1 (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Diametrically
- of, relating to, or along a diameter.
- in direct opposition; being at opposite extremes; complete:
- completely; utterly (esp in the phrase diametrically opposed)
- (with reference to opposition) completely; directly.
- : of, relating to, or constituting a straight line segment passing through the center of a figure or body : located at the diameter (see diameter sense 1)
- : completely opposed : being at opposite extremes in diametric contradiction to his claims two parties in diametric opposition on the issue
Example sentences for Diametrically
- Officials are bitterly divided over two diametrically opposed strategies.
- As new parents themselves, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have taken a diametrically opposite approach.
- Unraveling the implications of these diametrically opposed responses to Blue is not an easy task.
- Bennett, who wants to annex 60 percent of the West Bank, is diametrically opposed to that goal.
- But 19 and 12, though superficially similar in their youthfulness, are diametrically opposed regarding the elephant in the room.
- In talents, temper, manners and opinions, the rivals were diametrically opposed to each other.
- These ideas, diametrically opposed to his own, made him smile.
- But they do not agree together; some of them are diametrically opposed to others.
- His own opinions were diametrically opposed to those which, on this occasion, he put forward in the most offensive manner.
- His remarks are diametrically opposite to the conjectures of Camden and Gale.
Related words & Synonyms
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project