Late 19th century (originally US, as a trademark): blend of carbon and corundum. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Carborundum
- trademark any of various abrasive materials, esp one consisting of silicon carbide (as modifier)a Carborundum wheel
- A very hard black solid consisting of silicon carbide, used as an abrasive.
- —used for various abrasives
Example sentences for Carborundum
- In general, only a little grinding will be required, and one small pinch of carborundum or emery will be ample.
- You will notice that the electrical energy expended in this establishment is double that used in the manufacture of carborundum.
- Of all the bodies tried there were two which withstood best—diamond and carborundum.
- Grind with emery or carborundum, as described under a previous head.
- I started out with school teaching, then I got hold of a good thing in the way of Carborundum and made grindstones.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project