First recorded in 1865–70; carbon + -yl (Source: dictionary.com)
Definitions of Carbonyl
- containing the carbonyl group.
- a compound containing metal combined with carbon monoxide, as nickel carbonyl, Ni(CO)4.
- (modifier) of, consisting of, or containing the divalent group =COa carbonyl group or radical
- any one of a class of inorganic complexes in which carbonyl groups are bound directly to metal atoms
- The bivalent radical CO.
- Of or denoting the divalent radical CO, present in such organic compounds as aldehydes, ketones, amides, and esters, and in organic acids as part of the carboxyl group.
- : an organic functional group or radical −CO− occurring in aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, and their derivatives
- : a coordination complex involving the neutral radical CO chromium carbonyl
Example sentences for Carbonyl
- This is probably due to the formation of carbonyl gas in the smothered fire.
- The salts of the carbonyl acids and other acid phenol dyes are but little suitable: and least of all, the nitro dyes.
- Chromic acid converts it into phosgene (carbonyl chloride, COCl2).
- On oxidation, the molecule is split at the carbonyl group and a mixture of acids is obtained.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project