First recorded in 1785–95; carbon + -ous (Source: dictionary.com)
Mid 18th century. Originally from classical Latin carbōn-, carbō + -ous. (Source: lexico.com)
Definitions of Carbonous
- of, containing, or derived from carbon.
- Of the nature of or resembling coal or charcoal.
- Of or relating to the element carbon; containing carbon; specifically of divalent carbon (now rare).
- : derived from, containing, or resembling carbon
- : brittle and dark or almost black in color
Example sentences for Carbonous
- The perithecia are generally imbedded in the outer portion of the stroma, the mouths opening through the carbonous crust.
- The walls of the perithecia are carbonous, and confluent with the crust.
- The stem is slender and carbonous and bears the carbonous fruit bodies, superficial, but sessile and globose.
Subscribe to our updates
79 345 subscribers already with us
Check the price
for your project