One of the most well-known and popular stories written by Nathaniel Hawthorne is The Scarlet Letter. Basically, this book shows readers the life in puritan colonies and how religion can affect it. It evolves around Hester Prynne, and if you are assigned to write creative essays about it, you can choose from a wide range of interesting and original topics. Make sure you come up with some fresh ideas, but this task can be a bit hard because this book is famous and well-studied. Try to take familiar the scarlet letter essay topics and discuss them from a different point of view or angle. Besides, you can always get some professional help because there are many agencies that offer their creative and academic writing services. Be sure to choose the reputable and trusted one, such as our team of skilled experts.
When getting started with your academic paper, you should pay attention to the following suggestions for your excellent topic and ask questions about them:
- Discussing physical settings and their functions in this book. How are locations and events connected? What do you think about timing? Do nights bring a set of different rules compared to days?
- Is it a proto-feminist novel? Do you agree that Hester wouldn’t receive such a harsh punishment if she were a man? When does she undertake to protect other women from this gender-based persecution? Is it possible to interpret these actions as pointing to an important political statement in this book as a whole?
- Describe the revenge of Chillingworth. Why does he decide to torture Hester and Dimmesdale when he can just reveal that he’s her husband? What does it have to do with justice or evil?
- Take into consideration the function of the past when writing the scarlet letter analysis essay. The narrator is telling readers the story that is 200 years old. Why does the author use this kind of framing story instead of just telling it to readers? Why do you think all events are set in the distant history?
- Kids play different roles in this book. For example, Pearl is both a curse and a blessing for the main character, and she also serves as the conscience of Hester. On the other hand, town kids are very cruel and brutal when expressing their opinions. Why are they presented more honest and perceptive than adult characters? How do they differ from adults in terms of their power to express their perceptions?
- Native Americans make several mysterious and short appearances in this story. When it comes to your writing a personal essay based on this topic, ask a few basic questions. What roles do they play? How does their presence contribute to the central themes of this book?
Interesting Essay Questions and Suggestions
- Think about describing the narrator of the whole story. Is he different from traditional narrators?
- Discuss the beadle in terms of Puritan thinking and its personification.
- Explain readers more about the effects of punishing Hester on her personality.
- Explore relationships and connections of the Governor’s mansion to the Puritans and the so-called old world.
- Examine different symbols that surround the main character, Hester Prynne, such as her scarlet letter, apparel, and occupation. It’s one of the greatest and most interesting writing an argumentative essay
- Compare and contrast the impact of sin on such characters as Roger Chillingworth and Arthur Dimmesdale. Examine their strange relationships and discuss the author’s irony and coincidence.
- Concentrate on the moral law of Puritans and the independent thinking crime.
- Research Hester’s raising of her daughter and Puritan parenting.
- How do main characters, Dimmesdale, Hester, and Chillingworth, differ in how they accept the fate?
- Pay attention to their personalities. Take into consideration Dimmesdale and Hester in the forest and explain how the author used it as a multiple symbol. For example, when writing a dissertation conclusion , you can also discuss the use of shades and sunlight.
- What about Puritan values as exemplified by different celebrations?
- How Dimmesdale feels when leaving Hester?
- Devote a few paragraphs to Mistress Hibbins and define if her character is allegorical or real.
- Focus on Pearl and determine how she changes after the scaffold scene.
- What do you think about the role of Hester as a counselor of women who have problems?
- Do you agree that the phrase «Be true» is the central theme of this story?
- How are all main characters redeemed by its end?
The Role of Symbolism in This Novel
Feel free to use this topic when writing the scarlet letter essays and you’ll never go wrong. It’s impossible to deny that the author of this novel is one of the most well-known and prolific symbolists in American literature. That’s why you need to study his symbols when trying to understand and write about his book. They are used to represent different ideas broader and more abstract in their meaning and scope, including religious, philosophical, and moral concepts. This means that objects, characters, and events have their hidden meanings and are used by the author to present his universal lessons. Try to dig deeper when researching all symbols in this book, and if this task seems a bit confusing, contact our experienced academic writers who will help you immediately. For example, if you don’t know anything about how to write a reaction paper , be sure that this assignment will be complete fast and affordably. You should only give your basic requirements or guidelines and wait for a perfect essay.
Examples of completed orders
More than 7 000 students trust us to do their work
90% of customers place more than 5 orders with us