There’s no doubt that persuasive writing is an extremely delicate endeavor. Some people even dare to make a sort of art out of this stuff. Others can only make a mess and nothing else. When a persuasive essay is written by a skilled writer, it can be moving, inspiring and certainly convincing. On the other hand, when it’s done badly, it will turn the audience off. Respectively, if you’re interested in creating a positive impression on your audience, make the most of these persuasive essay techniques mentioned here below.
It won’t take you much time to get familiar with persuasive techniques in essays. First, let’s see what you shouldn’t do in your persuasive writing:
- Avoid using first person: Any persuasive essay gets credibility by simply achieving a certain level of objectivity. Respectively, if you make it personal by employing «I» statements, you make it a banal personal point of view, rather than a solid research work.
- Hyperbole: From any essays in persuasion, we know that an essay write shouldn’t exaggerate. Let’s assume your argument is that Reagan’s economic policies harmed the American middle class, avoid writing the stuff like this «The President Ronald Reagan managed to throw the country’s economic progress right to the Stone Age», because it would look excessively dramatic and it can even undermine your precious authority. As a result, the audience won’t trust the rest of your arguments. You’d better stick to solid historical analysis, stats and true facts.
- Don’t rant: From any reputable persuasive techniques essay you can learn that no one appreciates staying on the receiving end of rant. Well, even if you’re persuaded that representatives of this particular party are devil’s kids, unless you’ve got true facts or evidence to prove it, anything written or told by you won’t be taken seriously. If go rambling with no structure organization, but with pure emotional impulse, your readers will most likely stop reading your essay.
- Don’t be rude, catty and mean: Avoid swearing and name-calling. Strong language as well as insults will more harm your reputation than your opponents. No one would like to be verbally assaulted. So aggressive and offensive commentaries will turn readers against you.
- Avoid leaving out opposing arguments: One of the evident strengths of this type of essay is that an author recognizes the opposing arguments. So, in this case you just let your readers get familiar with all the available facts and stick to those they find more valid. If you ignore the other side, you won’t have an opportunity to address this directly. By simply providing an analysis of the opposition’s point of view you’ll show that you’re a true expert in this particular field. Your audience will undoubtedly appreciate the fact that you’ve studied both sides of the given issue before giving your thoughts.
Now let’s see what you’re welcome to use in your persuasive essay:
- A powerful hook: It’s clear that as a writer you should do your best to capture your readers’ attention. This can be done in different ways. For instance, you can make use of a powerful quote, anecdotes and so on.
- Pay special attention to your thesis statement: Your thesis statement is the foundation of your essay, regardless of its type. So, it needs to be solid and strong enough. The stronger your thesis, the easier it will be to back it up.
- Include your research in perfectly organized supporting paragraphs: You require structuring your persuasive essay in the easy-to-follow way. Of course, you’re welcome to offer clear examples to support the thesis statement. As mentioned above the opposing arguments should be included too.
- Provide substantial research from reputable sources: Personal blogs spouting points of view by those who hold no degree in the subject they’re writing can’t be credible sources. If you like visiting Wikipedia, forget about this popular website too, as it also can’t a reliable source. Instead, you should stick to specialized publications, reputable magazines, newspaper articles when it comes to supporting your ideas.
- Make use of transition words: If you utilize transition words in the proper way, you’ll do wonders with your essay. Keep in mind that a persuasive essay isn’t about proving your opinion, but making it very easy for the audience to follow it. Use such words as «furthermore», «moreover», «in spite of» and «however». All of them will serve as guides throughout your persuasive essay. These words will alert your readers of a contrasting statement, reinforce ready-made points and signal the conclusion or introduction of a certain idea.
- Make a good conclusion: Just summarizing the key points of your persuasive essay isn’t enough. Use the concluding paragraph as an opportunity to explore further questions closely connected with the subject. For instance, if you’re disclosing the theme of global warming, drop a hint who could offer the long-awaited guidance or enumerate the benefits of continued presence.
You can entrust your writing headache to us right now!
Are you tired of struggling with your business paper, case study research or formatting an essay ? Sign up here and you’ll get the answer you need. Needless to say, freelancers with rich experience, decent expertise and ready-made solutions know for sure how to critique an article or how to write a coursework. Fortunately, you no longer need to keep searching on the web for a good solution to your problem, as your issue has been already tackled here. The more you stay on this website the less you want to look for an alternative.
Examples of completed orders
More than 7 000 students trust us to do their work
90% of customers place more than 5 orders with us