In terms of geometry, a prism is a kind of polyhedron with a particular number of sides of the polygonal base (a kind of geometric plane figure), another one congruent parallel base (which is characterized by the same orientation as the polygonal base has) and a particular number of other faces. The specificity of all cross sections of the prism which are parallel to the faces of the base is that they are congruent to the bases. All kinds of existing prisms have different names, which depends on their base. For example, a prism that has a pentagonal base will be called a pentagonal prism. According to the same principle, a prism is considered to be rectangular in case if it has six faces, each of which is a rectangular. This is a three-dimensional geometric object which is also can be called «cuboid». Many assignments on geometry ask you to find the volume of a prism, including the rectangular type of this object. Therefore, to know and understand how to find the volume of a rectangular prism is an essential and very helpful skill that you need to have in order to cope with assignments on geometry.
When it comes to calculating the volume of a rectangular prism, the easiest and the most common way to deal with this problem would be to learn how to find the volume of a rectangular prism with the help of special formula. According to this formula, you need multiply the length of the geometric object by the width of the object and its height. This is quite a simple approach to dealing with this kind of task, especially if the assignment provides information concerning all the dimensions, and you don't need to look for any measures because you already know all of them. However, very often students are required to find at least one of the needed measures, which makes the task a bit more difficult.
When talking of volume, one should mean a kind of measurement that is widely used when dealing with three dimensional objects describing the overall amount of the space which that or another object contains inside. Rectangular prisms, which are sometimes also called rectangular solids, can be seen everywhere around us, they are one of the most commonly used and familiar shapes far and wide across the world. Look around yourself and you will find out that almost everything that you see can be an example of a rectangular prism. A lot of buildings, different boxes (including the boxes for shoes, for clothes, food, etc.), furniture and other objects serve as examples of a rectangular prism. For this reason, to know how to find the volume of a rectangular prism may appear to be very useful not only for coping with your high school or college assignments on geometry, but also in real life. Who knows, maybe you will decide to build a house someday? In this case, you will definitely have to be able to measure the volume of many objects, the majority of them will probably be rectangular prisms. At the same time, within studying the theme covering the question of how to find the volume of a rectangular prism, students may also be assigned to create a rectangular prism on their own in order to use it during the geometry classes. The methodology and guidelines of creating a rectangular prism are provided below in the article.
Calculating the volume of the rectangular solid
As we have already said, to understand how to find the volume of a rectangular prism is rather easy, as far as you know all the needed dimensions, such as the width, height and the length of the object. Anyway, to learn how to find the volume of a rectangular prism step-by-step just follow the steps provided below:
- At first, you need to find out the length of the given object. In order to do this, look at the rectangular solid's surface and find there the longest side. This will be the needed length. You can find it on the top of the prism, as well as on the bottom side.
- After that, you need to find out the width of the given object. This is going to be the shortest side of the prism's flat surface, which can locate on the bottom side of the object or on the top side of it.
- Find out the height of the given object. This is going to be the rising part of the object. In order to make it easier, try to imagine that the height of the given rectangular prism is something stretching up a rectangle until it turns to a shape with three dimensions.
- Your next step is going to be multiplying of all the dimensions that you've got, including the height, the width and the length. The order of this operation doesn't matter, because it will not affect the final result.
- Once you have the answer ready, you need to state it in cubic units. Keep in mind that you are dealing with space with three dimensions, as long as you are calculating the volume. That is why your answer has to be stated in cubic units, regardless of whether you're dealing with centimeters, inches, etc.
The steps provided above represent the easiest way of calculating the volume of a rectangular prism. Now that you know how to find the volume of a rectangular prism keep reading to get familiar with other matters.
Creating a rectangular prism on your own
As we have already said, not only to know how to find the volume of a rectangular prism is important if you want to succeed in geometry, but also the capability to create this kind of object with your own hands. When dealing with this task, you may use different material, including construction paper, cubic block and so on. It's up to you what kind of material to use, although the most necessary thing to remember is that this object has to be created accurately and have all the characteristics of a rectangular prism. Keep reading to learn how to create a rectangular prism and try to follow the provided guidelines carefully and attentively.
- The first thing you should do is reviewing the dimensions. On the one hand, you assignment may provide the exact needed dimensions of the object and in this case you need to find out what length, width and height should your object have. On the other hand, however, you may be allowed to use the dimensions that you find appropriate, without following any specific requirements in regard to this issue.
- After that, you will have to deal with measuring and cutting two length of the object by width rectangles. You need to take a piece of heavy constructing paper and a pen (it would be also good if you had a ruler) and to draw to equal rectangles, and make sure that each of them has the same length that the final object needs to have and that the width of your rectangles has the same width that the final object is going to have.
- Once you have drawn rectangles, you need to take the ruler and to check the length and the width of them. You have to make sure that both of them are absolutely equal and that all their measurements meet the requirements in regard to the measurements of the final prism that you are going to create.
- Your next step is going to be cutting the drawn rectangles out with the help of scissors (make sure that the scissors are sharp enough before you proceed to cutting). Remember that you'd better undertake this step only after you are certain that all your measurements are correct.
- Keep in mind that the rectangles that you have drawn and cut are going to make up the top and the bottom sides of your rectangular solid, so their equality is absolutely essential.
- Your next step is going to be measuring and cutting two length of your rectangular prism by height rectangles. Now you need to deal with drawing another two rectangles on a piece of construction paper.
- Remember that the length of the rectangles should meet the requirements concerning the length of the rectangular solid. At the same time, the width of the objects that you are going to draw has to match the height of the final object.
- You should measure one more time the rectangles that you have drawn in order to make sure they are of an appropriate size. Once you are sure the measurements are correct, you can take the scissors and cut both of the figures accurately.
- Keep in mind that these two rectangles are going to form the back and front sides of the final object, which means that they need to be absolutely equal.
- The next step that you need to undertake is measuring and cutting two width of the object by height rectangles. Here, you need to sketch another two rectangles on a piece of the construction paper with the help of ruler and a pen.
- Every rectangle should have the length matching the width of the final object. At the same time, the width of the rectangles should be quite the same as the height of the final rectangular solid. This requirement concerns both of the rectangles.
- Once you've got the rectangles drawn, you need to measure them one more time in order to make sure that the measurements are correct before you proceed directly to cutting. When you are completely sure in the rightness of the measurements, cut the rectangles with the scissors.
- The last two rectangles will serve to form the right and the left sides of the final object, which means that their equality is an essential requirement.
- Now that you have almost all the needed details cut and ready, you will have to tape four of the created rectangles into a strip.
- Once you've got the rectangles taped into the strip, you need to join the ends of the strip. You need to do this in such a way that the two unattached ends of the strip could meet each other. While joining the ends, you may use the pieces of the tape in order to hold the ends of the strip together.
- Keep in mind that once the previous step is undertaken the final result that you will have should look like a tube in a form of a rectangle. If it looks quite like that, it means that the shape of the rectangular prism is almost ready.
- Now you have two more rectangles left. You need to take them and attach to the prism. When dealing with this step, you may use the tape in order to manage attaching all the sides of every rectangle to the proper sides of the final object.
- It is important for you to ensure that the height side of every created rectangle is of the same size as the height side of the final rectangular solid. At the same time, the width side of every rectangle should be of the same size as the width side of the final rectangular prism.
- Now you have to tape one side of every rectangle. After that, you will have to tape the opposite side of the object. As a matter of fact, taping is not necessarily, but it will help you be certain that the paper will stay at the needed point.
- Your final product is ready and the only thing that you have to do now is to measure all the sides of your rectangular prism. Here, you need take the ruler again, take all the measurements and right them down. All the dimensions, including the length, the width and the height of the final product should meet all the requirements provided in your assignment.
- Once you are sure all the measurements are completely correct, you can consider the rectangular prism to be ready.
In case if you need additional assistance to deal with your assignments on mathematics or other disciplines, consider professional writing services provided below:
Examples of completed orders
More than 7 000 students trust us to do their work
90% of customers place more than 5 orders with us