Knowing the area formula of the rectangle is a basic requirement for students studying at all levels, since this matter is an integral part of the studying program. It is often faced in the assignments on mathematics, especially geometry. Generally speaking, rectangle is the geometry shape that you can meet more frequently than other figures. It is rather simple, it is characterized by simple properties that are not too hard to learn, to understand and to remember. As a matter of fact, most of students deal with assignments asking them to use the area formula of the rectangle without facing significant troubles. However, it is important that you learn and understand it once in order to use this knowledge when dealing with geometry assignments in the future. Apart from that, knowing the area formula of the rectangle will also be very useful for you in life. In this article, we provided an easy explanation of what is the area formula of the rectangle, how to use it appropriately and other information that you may find helpful within your studies.
As we have already said, rectangles are the most common shapes in geometry, which are also considered to be the basic figures. A rectangle is a type of geometry shape that is characterized by having four sides, as well as the same number of angles. It is a two-demensional geometry figure, where there are two pairs of sides, each of which consists of parallel sides of the same length. There is a type of a rectangle that is called a square. A rectangle can be called a square in case if all the sides that it has are of the same length. However, keep in mind that even though all the squares are rectangles, not all the rectangles can be squares as well.
Rectangles are absolutely everywhere, you can see them in your everyday life, at home, on the street, in the market, at school and so on. Just look at everything surrounding you. The majority of objects surrounding us are rather in the form of a rectangle or a circle. The table, the sides of the boxes, your textbook, the screen of your television set, of your phone and computer, your bed, doors, absolutely everything. The formula of the area of the rectangle is quite simple and so is the perimeter formula. Let us start with enlightening the formula of the area of the rectangle first of all. Therefore, keep reading further if you want to learn how to find the area formula of the rectangle quickly and correctly.
How to use the area formula of the rectangle
If your assignment on mathematics requires you to find the area of the rectangle, naturally you will have to use the area formula of the rectangle appropriately. Below, we provided the essential steps that you have to undertake in order to cope with your assignment.
- First of all, you need to ensure that the kind of the rectangle that you are dealing with is the true one. In order to do that, you need to know for sure that the opposite sides of the given figure are equal, of the same length and that they are parallel to each other. As we have already said, there are two pairs of sides so you need to check all of them and only then to proceed to the following step.
- Taking into consideration the above-described step, while the opposite sides of the rectangle have to be parallel, the sides that touch one another are perpendicular.
- Check if all the sides of the given figure are identical. In case if they are identical, you are going to deal with the square rectangle.
- Keep in mind that if the given figure doesn't have the properties provided above, it means that this is not a rectangle at all, you are probably going to deal with another kind of geometry figure and you will need to use not the area formula of the rectangle but another formula.
- Your next step is going to be writing down the area formula of the rectangle into your textbook. The formula is simple enough, as we have already said. It looks like the following: area = a x b. Here, the a serves to identify one side of the rectangle, while b will be the number identifying another side of the given figure.
- Find out what kind of units your task asks you to use. There can be different kinds of units, because any kind of unit is perfectly good for measuring the area. You may use meters squared, feet squared, centimeters squared and so on. It will not make any big difference, as long as the number in the final answer is correct.
- Now, when you have undertaken all the previous steps, you will have to determine the length and the width of the given in the assignment rectangle. In case if these dimensions are already provided in the assignment, it is very good because you will not have to calculate them. However, if they are not provided, you will have to use a ruler in order to get the dimensions or to find them out of the given in the assignment information.
- Keep in mind that the width is the left and the right side of the rectangle, while the length of the given figure is the top of it or the bottom.
- Now that you have the area formula of the rectangle written in your textbook and you have got all the needed numbers, you can find the needed answer. In order to do this, just plug in the variables into the area formula of the rectangle and your problem is solved.
- Check whether your final answer is correct by undertaking the same steps but in the opposite order.
Now that you are aware of the area formula of the rectangle and you know and understand how to use it appropriately, consider also other formulas that will be very helpful when completing assignments on geometry. For example, we recommend you learning how to find the perimeter of the rectangle. Tips for dealing with the perimeter are provided below in the article, so keep reading further.
How to find the perimeter of the rectangle
Many assignments on geometry require dealing with the perimeter of the rectangle. It is not very easy to find, if only you know the right formula. Therefore, check the guidelines provided below describing how to find the perimeter of the rectangle.
- First of all, you need to make sure that you are dealing with the true rectangle. In order to do this, it is important to check whether the top and the bottom sides of the given figure are of the equal length, as well as whether the left and the right sides of the figure are of the equal length. The sides in every pair should be parallel, which means that the bottom and the top sides should be parallel and the left and the right sides should also be parallel.
- Keep in mind that the angle between the two sides that touch each other should be exactly ninety degrees, which means that these sides should be perpendicular.
- Keep in mind that if all the sides of the given figure are of the same length, it means that you are going to deal with the square type of the rectangle.
- Remember that if the given figure does not have all the provided above characteristics, it means that the given figure is not a rectangle.
- The next step will be to write down in your textbook the formula of the perimeter of the rectangle. It is quite simple and can be expressed as the following: perimeter = 2 x (a + b ), where a means the length of the figure and b means the width of the given rectangle.
- There is also another way to express the formula of the rectangle. It looks like the following: perimeter = 2 x a + 2 x b. As in the previous statement, a and b determine the width and the length of the given rectangle. This is quite the same formula, even though it is written differently.
- The units to use when calculating the perimeter can be different, it depends in the requirements of your assignment. You can use centimeters, meters, feet, miles and so on.
- The next step is going to be identifying the width of the given rectangle and its length. These measurements can be already provided in the assignment, but if they are not, then you will have to calculate them on your own.
- You can use a rule when finding the width and length of the given figure or you can also use the measurements that are provided in the assignment appropriately.
- Now you will have to plug in the number expressing the variables into the equation of the formula of the perimeter and then, you will have to solve this equation. As long as there are two kinds of expressing the perimeter formula, you can use one of them, which seems easier to you.
Calculating the width of the rectangle
Apart from the area or the perimeter of the rectangle, it is also important to know how to find the width of this figure. Below, we provided some steps that you will have to undertake in order if you need to find the width.
- You can use the area, if it is already known. Here, you need to rearrange the formula of the area, where instead of the area you will bee looking for the width. Therefore, you will have to divide the two sides in the equation by the length of the given figure. And then, you need to divide the area by the known length. The result will be your final answer.
- The other way to find the width is to use the perimeter. Here, you can also rearrange the formula and look for the width instead of looking for the perimeter. In other words, you need to subtract the two sides in the perimeter formula by twice the length value. The final result will be your answer.
Examples of completed orders
More than 7 000 students trust us to do their work
90% of customers place more than 5 orders with us